The Four Seasons by Vivaldi

Order tickets
June 2024 Next
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

 

 

The Four Seasons by Vivaldi in Rome 

Witness the evocative power of Antonio Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" performed by strings quintet and harpsichord in three extraordinary locations in the center of Rome. The wonderful Salone d'Onore of Palazzo Carpegna behind Trevi Fountain, the beautiful Chiesa Evangelica Metodista between Repubblica Square and Quirinale and the gorgeous Courtyard of San Salvatore in Lauro just a few minutes from Navona Square.



The most famous of Vivaldi’s works, and a revolutionary example of Italian Baroque music, 

Location 1: Palazzo Carpegna - Piazza dell'Accademia di San Luca 77 - Rome

Location 2: Chiesa Evangelica Metodista - Via XX Settembre 122 c - Rome

 

First violin: Elvin Dhimitri Strings quintet Harpsichord Elvin Dhimitri, first violin of Opera and Lirica, has been recognized as an artist who is able to combine impassioned energy and vibrant communication. He was appointed Concertmaster of the Bilkent Youth International Symphony Orchestra in 1992. He performed for Luglio Musicale Symphony Orchestra of Trapani, La Nuova Scarlatti Symphony Orchestra of Naples, Toscanini Symphony Orchestra of Parma, to mention a few. He was appointed First Violin in the Rome Philharmonic Orchestra and he has been a member of the Rome and Lazio Symphony Orchestra since 1997. 

Program and cast

First Time
Concerto F XI No.4 in A Major
Allegro molto/Andante molto/Allegro
Concerto “La Rustica” RV 151 in G Major
Presto/Adagio/Allegro
Concerto RV 127 in D Minor
Allegro/Adagio/Allegro
Second Time
Concerto No.1 in E Major, RV 269, “SPRING”
Allegro/Largo/Allegro (Pastorale dance)
Concerto No.2 in G Minor, RV 315, “SUMMER”
Allegro non molto - Allegro/Adagio-Presto-Adagio/

Presto (Summer Storm)
Concerto No.3 in F Major, RV 293, “AUTUMN”
Allegro (Peasant Dance and Song)/Adagio molto
(Sleeping Drunkards)/Allegro (The Hunt)
Concerto No.4 in F Minor, RV 297, “WINTER”
Allegro non molto/Largo/Allegro

Palazzo Carpegna

Palazzo Carpegna was built between the end of the sixteenth century and the first half of the seventeenth century by a pupil of Giacomo Della Porta . The original owners of the building were the Vaini family from Imola. Around 1630 the building was purchased by Count Ambrogio of Carpegna ( 1602 - 1643 ), who commissioned Francesco Borromini to carry out important expansion and renovation works. Upon his death, the palace was inherited by his brother, Cardinal Ulderico Carpegna , who continued to implement the project, albeit downsized. The Carpegna family remained owners until 1731 , the year of the death of Ulderico, the last prince of Scavolino, who appointed his nephew, Marquis Emilio Orsini de' Cavalieri Sannesi, as his heir. The latter commissioned the architect Francesco Ferrari to complete and adapt the structure in the period from 1732 to 1736 . In the following centuries it was adapted and transformed into a rental building; in this period of time, until 1882 , dozens of changes of ownership occurred; among the most important families are those of Patrizi Naro and Colligola Monthioni. The last family to live there was that of Luigi Pianciani . It subsequently housed a religious institute inside and was then repurposed as an office building.

The most recent interventions date back to 1933 , the year in which the renovation works began, carried out by the architects Gustavo Giovannoni and Arnaldo Foschini . The interventions were aimed at setting up and adapting the building as the seat of the National Academy of San Luca and art gallery of its collections, inaugurated on 24 April 1934 .

Between September 2014 and March 2015 , Borromini 's frieze , depicting the face of Medusa , was restored by the Istituto Superiore per la Conservazione ed il Restauro (ISCR) .

Related events