St. Annes´s Church

Church Concerts
Wien - St. Annes´s Church
Next performance: Tu 17 Sep 2019, 20:00
Church Concerts
Wien - St. Annes´s Church
Next performance: Fr 29 Nov 2019, 19:30

St. Anne's Church (German: Annakirche) is located in Vienna, Austria, and has been administered by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales since 1906. A relic of Saint Anne—her right hand—is kept in a rich Baroque setting and exhibited every year on July 26.

St. Anne's chapel existed since 1320. In 1518, the Gothic church was consecrated on the occasion of Saint Anne's Day (26 July). The church was administered first by the Poor Clare Sisters, then by the Jesuits. Between 1629 and 1634, the Jesuits started the Baroquisation of the Gothic church. After a fire in 1747, Pozzo's pupil Christoph Tausch transformed it into late baroque using trompe l'oeil techniques. On 25 June 1747 lightning struck the tower of the church, burning down the roof framing but leaving intact the frescos. In 1751, Daniel Gran began the renovation of the interior, blackened by candle smoke. After starting to work in the church in 1897, the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales received the church in 1906.